History of Kwara State
Kwara State is regarded as one of the oldest states in Nigeria. Kwara state was established in 1967 under the General Yakubu Gowon regime. It was at this period that the first twelve states were created in Nigeria. The twelve states took over the four provinces that were available. Before the creation of Kwara state, this particular area was under the Northern Province.
It is important to note that Kwara State was part of the Northern Region before independence. The country used to run a regional system until it was dissolved in 1963. The regions were only three at that time and lasted for three years. It was later replaced by four provinces following the 1966 coup that put General Aguiyi Ironsi into power.
However, the counter-coup of 1967 brought in General Yakubu Gowon into power who later dissolved the provincial system and created the first set of states – twelve. It was the creation of these twelves states that gave birth to Kwara state. Though it was first referred to as West Central State before the name change to Kwara State.
The capital city of Kwara State, Ilorin, is situated 306km inland from the coastal town of Lagos and 500km from the federal capital, Abuja. Major towns include Ilorin, Offa, and Jebba, located on the Niger River. Other cities include Patigi, Erin-lIe, lIoffa, Adeleke Igbewere, Ejidongari, Osi, Lafiagi, Gure, Afon, Kaiama, Isanlu-lsin, Omu-Aran, Egbejila, lIota, Iponrin, and Igbaja.
Ilorin was founded by the Yoruba, one of the three largest ethnic groups in Nigeria, in 1450. According to Wikipedia (2020), it became a provincial military headquarters of the ancient Oyo Empire, and later became a Northern Nigeria protectorate when Shehu Alimi, an itinerant Islamic preacher and teacher, took control of the city through the spread of Islam. The capital was occupied by the Royal Niger Company in 1897 and its lands were incorporated into the British colony of Northern Nigeria in 1900, although the emirate continued to perform ceremonial functions. The city retains a strong Islamic influence, although Christianity is now widely practiced in the cosmopolitan part of the city due to the significant immigration of people from other parts of Kwara State and the rest of Nigeria.
AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq (born 5th of February 1960) is a Nigerian businessman and politician. He is the CEO of First Fuels Limited. AbdulRasaq is an entrepreneur. He founded the Nigeria's first indigenous oil and gas trading companies at the age of 31, NOPA Oil Services and First Fuels. The latter was the first indigenous company to export crude oil and petroleum products to the United States, Europe and Asia.
He ventured into other sectors such as agriculture, construction, information technology, shipping and real estate. He is a consultant to various multinational oil companies and governments including Ghana and Cote D’Ívoire.
The Kwara State Government house is situated along High Court Road, Ahmadu Bello Way, G.R.A in the state’s capital Illorin. The Kwara State government house serves as the Official home to the state governor or chief state executive of the state and their families. It is the official venue for events such as the state's executive council meetings, government conferences, swearing in of cabinet members and of course the Governor's official business. It can also be used as receptions and functions hosted by individuals; some arms of the state government also have offices at the state government house.
Kwara State is enormously blessed with fertile and arable land as well as enjoys the presence of food, metals and non-metallic mineral products which has it as an industrial base.
The state’s economy is built strongly on agriculture and other mineral resources in the state. The principal cash crops are: cotton, cocoa, coffee, Kolanut, tobacco, beniseed and palm produce. Mineral resources in the state are petroleum, gold, limestone, marble, feldspar, clay, kaolin, quartz and granite rocks.
Kwara State consists of sixteen Local Government Areas. They are:
L.G. A Headquarters
- Asa Afon
- Baruten Kosubosu
- Edu Lafiagi
- Ekiti Araromi-Opin
- Ifelodun Share
- Ilorin East Oke-Oyi
- Ilorin South Fufu
- Ilorin West Oja-Oba
- Irepodun Omu-Aran
- Isin Owu-Isin
- Kaiama Kaiama
- Moro Bode-Saadu
- Offa Offa
- Oke Ero IIoffa
- Oyun IIemona
- Pategi Pategi
- Quartz and
- Granite rocks
Kwara State strategic location has increased its cross-border trade and sales volumes with her neighbours, States such as; the Federal Capital Territory, Kaduna and Kano; to the South, Ibadan and Lagos States and to the West by the Republic of Benin, providing easy access to other West African markets. This means that it has become a hub with many investment opportunities. These opportunities include:
- Large scale mechanized farming.
- Post-harvest processing and packaging of agricultural produce for local and external markets.
- Cash crops: cotton, cocoa, coffee, Kolanut, tobacco, beniseed and palm farming
- Industrial minerals: Marble/dolomite, kaolin, silica sand, quartz, granites, talc and feldspar.
- Metallic ores: Gold, cassiterite, columbite, tantalite and rare-earth metals.
- Gemstones: Tourmaline, aquamarine, sapphire, emerald, amethyst and beryl.
- Expansion solar-powered street lights to urban areas.
- The development of a 200 MW IPP (Independent Power Plant) using renewable energy.
- Development of renewable rural electrification
- Flower Garden
- Owu fall
- Central Mosque Ilorin
- Kwara Hotel
- Hill (Eruku)
- Wood Carving Center (Osi)
- Apo Olori (Isolo-Opin)
- Archaeological Site (Obbo).
Kwara has a federal university, a state university, two polytechnics and colleges. It is also home to four Private universities. There is also a navy school and aviation college in Kwara state.
Public Universities and Polytechnics
- University of Ilorin – Federal University
- Kwara State University – State University
- Kwara State Polytechnic
- Federal Polytechnic Offa
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Crown Hill University, Eiye N'korin
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin and
- Summit University, Offa
- College of education, Ilorin
- Kwara State College of education, Oro
- School of Health technology, Offa
- Kwara State College of Nursing Òkè ode and
- College of Nursing, Ilorin.
- Muhyideen College of Education, Ilorin
Navy and Aviation School
- Nigerian Navy School of Health Science Irra Road Offa
- International Aviation College, Ilorin
- REHABILITATION OF EXISTING / COMPLETION OF RURAL ELECTRIFICATION SCHEME IN 17 COMMUNITIES IN KWARA STATE
- COMPLETION OF ON-GOING PROJECT OF ELECTRIFICATION OF OKE-LLALA/AIYEKALE/FUFUWARI/ BOLUDE/AJOKO-BURO TOWN IN KWARA STATE
- PROVISION OF 2 NOS. 500 KVA TRANSFORMER IN ILORIN WEST AND ASA LG KWARA STATE
- PROVISION OF 4 NOS, 33KVA TRANSFORMERS ILORIN WEST AND ASA LG KWARA STATE.
State of Harmony
Pantami orders cancellation of nin retrieval charge across all networks
in categories ( Uncategorized )
The Honourable Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Ali Ibrahim (Pantami) FNCS, FBCS,FIIM, MCPN has di... read more...
18 Dec, 2020
LASG ENGAGES RECRUITMENT EXPERTS ON INTERNSHIP, JOB PLACEMENT
in categories ( Uncategorized )
A call has gone out to private organisations to partner with the Lagos State Government in its drive to bridge the unemp... read more...
26 Aug, 2020
LAGOS COMMISSIONER, TG/PS LAUD GOVERNOR'S PASSION FOR E-LEARNING
in categories ( Education )
... Distributes 5,000 Telephone Devices to Education District II Students The Honourable Commissioner for Educa... read more...
26 Aug, 2020