Akwa Ibom State was established in 1987 by Ibrahim Badamosi Babandiga. This was a long-fought-for victory that led to the process of creating the state after decades of attempts. Hundreds of people dedicated their lives to this cause, and by the time they gained their own state it was long overdue. The people of “The Land of Promise” have originally lived in the Ibom village in Arochukwu. Over time, they migrated to the current state’s location. The name originates from a river called the Kwa Iboe. In the Efik language, the word Akwa means “big,” “large.” Even though the people of Akwa Ibom represent three different dialect groups, Ibibio, Annang, Oron, they possess a common identity. They are all believed to be the first ethnic groups to migrate to the south-eastern part of Nigeria. This uniting feature helps them stand together in their mission of creating a separate governing formation.
The community of Akwa Ibom’s fight for the own state began back in 1948, when the Ibibio Union changed its primary focus. Previously, they had been an organization that mainly dealt with cultural matters. But in 1948 they decided to concentrate on the idea of Nigeria being transformed into a state-divided country. The Ibibio Union became one of the leaders in this struggle, as the plans were brought to fruition. Sadly, during the initial separation of Nigeria into twelve states, back in 1967, the territory of Akwa Ibom State was assigned as a part of the South Eastern State. Nine years later, its name was changed to Cross River. But a simple change of façade wasn’t enough to hold back the population. They continued their fight to have a state The community’s second chance for creating a separate state appeared after the disintegration of the Second Republic. The people sent a request for a memorandum to the General Buhari Administration, but the result was unsatisfying. The next opportune moment came about when the political Bureau was held to determine the direction in which Nigeria was supposed to be heading. The same demands were sent to General Ibrahim Babangida again. This time the memorandum resulted in the creation of the Akwa Ibom State in 1987.
Akwa Ibom State Government is the government of Akwa Ibom, concerned with the administration of the state ministries. The government consists of Executive, Legislative and Judiciary. The government is headed by the Akwa Ibom State Governor who is the policy-maker and often assisted by the commissioners and other civil servant of the state.
Akwa Ibom State is a predominantly civil service state with the government being the major engine of growth. The main economic activities of the people are fishing (for riverine and coastal dwellers), farming (mostly for upland dwellers), trading, artisanship and white-collar services.
Akwa Ibom State consists of thirty-one (31) local government areas. They are:
- Eastern Obolo
- Essien Udim
- Ikot Abasi
- Ikot Ekpene
- Oruk Anam
- Oil and Gas
Main Investment Opportunities in Akwa Ibom state exist in:
- Light Manufacturing
Educational institutes in the state are:
- Ibom Metropolitan Polytechnic, Uyo
- University of Uyo, Uyo
- Maritime Academy of Nigeria, Oron
- Akwa Ibom State University [Oruk Anam LGA And Mkpat Enin LGA
- Obong University, Obong Ntak
- Akwa Ibom State Polytechnic Ikot Osurua
- Uyo City Polytechnic Nduetong Oku
- Apex Polytechnic
- Heritage Polytechnic, Eket
- School of Nursing; Uyo, Eket, Oron, Ikot Ekpene, Etinan
- Akwa Ibom State College of Education, Afaha Nsit
- School Of Basic Studies Abak
- College of Arts & Sciences, Nnung Ukim
- Ritman University
- Sure Polytechnic, Ukanafun[
- GOVERNOR EMMANUEL OPENS FIRST RICE MILL IN AKWA IBOMA new rice milling factory built in Ini local government area of Akwa Ibom State has been commissioned by Governor Udom Emmanuel, with a promise that it will give birth to several other factories in the area.
- Commissioning Of State-Of-The-Art 300 Bed Space Isolation Center At Methodist General Hospital, Ituk Mbang, Uruan, LGA.
- Akwa Ibom State Governor, Mr. Udom Emmanuel and wife, Martha, accompanied by Deputy Governor, Speaker, AKHA, cutting a tape to inaugurate the State-of-Art 300 bed space isolation centre at Methodist General Hospital, Ituk Mbang in Uruan LGA.
- Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, commissioned Lion Plywood Factory in Awa, Onna Local Government Area.The plywood industry an initiative geared toward making the state a major producer of finished products for the building sector.
- Kings Flour Mill construction project is located in Mkpok-Okad Village, Onna LGA, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. The factory has 4.892m2 of closed area with 47.406m2 of open area.
- Construction Of 6.41KM Nto Edino – Ekwere-Azu Road With 2No. 45M Span Bridges In Obot Akara Local Govt Area.
Akwa Ibom State
Land of promise
Udom Gabriel Emmanuel
Pantami orders cancellation of nin retrieval charge across all networks
in categories ( Uncategorized )
The Honourable Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Ali Ibrahim (Pantami) FNCS, FBCS,FIIM, MCPN has di... read more...
18 Dec, 2020
LASG ENGAGES RECRUITMENT EXPERTS ON INTERNSHIP, JOB PLACEMENT
in categories ( Uncategorized )
A call has gone out to private organisations to partner with the Lagos State Government in its drive to bridge the unemp... read more...
26 Aug, 2020
LAGOS COMMISSIONER, TG/PS LAUD GOVERNOR'S PASSION FOR E-LEARNING
in categories ( Education )
... Distributes 5,000 Telephone Devices to Education District II Students The Honourable Commissioner for Educa... read more...
26 Aug, 2020